Friday, July 31, 2009

Trip to England




By the time you read this, I will be in London visiting with family. There are always things that you look forward to with great nostalgia, no matter how long you may have been gone from the place that was your original home. As you think about it, certain sights, sounds, and smells come to mind that together evoke the feeling that means home.

I look forward to seeing my children and grandchildren above all else, of course. But I also eagerly await visiting some of my favorite shops, like A La Mode, a clothing store in Knightsbridge and Whistles (http://www.whistles.co.uk/). Another favorite I’ll visit is Harvey Nichols, whose website and fall collection is found at this link http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page1.asp

I’ll have dinner with my friend and prayer partner, Liza. I haven’t seen seen her for four years. My daughter will be cooking roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for a family lunch, that quintessentially British dish that I cannot wait to taste again. There’s a wonderful Jewish Deli that serves salt beef sandwiches. Salt beef is something like corned beef, only more delicious.

Another favorite place in England is the Borough Market in London, an amazing farmer’s market, which is run as a non-profit. A picture of the Borough Market is listed above, but it cannot do justice to the sight of jewel-toned fruits and vegetables displayed in every direction. Great wheels of cheese, created on dairy farms all other England abound, along with fresh fish and other specialties from my home country.

I also hope to visit the gorgeous Art-Deco Michelin building for a croissant, coffee, and a visit with an old friend. I’ll be sure to take a lot of pictures and share them when I return.

Live life beautifully,

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment